I went to New York last weekend with Monica, where we did what we always do when we go to New York: we ate, walked ridiculous amounts, made inappropriate jokes and then tweeted watered down versions of those jokes to people on the interweb who didn't think they were nearly as funny as we did.  Then we ate some more.  

The one twist to this weekend was that due to a combination of prior weeks' lack of proper sleep, heavenly hotel beds, blackout blinds, and a new secret weapon, I managed to sleep until 10:30 am on one of the days we were gone.  I am stupid kinds of an early riser and when we go on trips, I often wake up early and sneak out of the hotel room so as not to wake anyone else, then walk around until a decent hour has been achieved and come back with breakfast from some awesome place.  I have never slept this late in my life before; sleeping in for me is 7:00 am after having been up twice during the night.  The momentous occasion was marked by more than just myself as I learned when I woke up. I glanced over to where Monica should have been sleeping and found her huddled over her phone, looking up and down furtively.  "Oh, you're up already," I said, with no clue what time it was.

She threw her arms up in the air, "YOU MADE IT!  HURRAY!"  Apparently, she'd been up for hours, texting my husband, the two of them wondering if I 'was going to make it' 'til 10:00, 10:30, etc.  I believe there was discussion about whether to check my pulse or not, but they both finally decided if I was truly asleep, checking my pulse might wake me up and if I was truly dead, that wouldn't change any time soon.

Logic!

Also: I now know what a joy it is to wake up completely rested and totally get the big deal all of ya'll make about it.  It was awesome.

While I was gone, The KingofHearts took The Shortlings to see Brave.  I was kinda looking forward to seeing that movie myself, but I get it.  It was opening day, the girls had been looking forward to it, and I didn't exactly ask him if he really wanted me to go see the Coney Island Mermaid Parade without him either.  He texted me a photo of them all at the movie theater covered in Brave stickers, so I retorted with this:


Booyah, I win.

I got back home in the middle of o'dark o'clock Monday morning and immediately went to bed.  When The Caterpillar woke up in a couple of hours, The KoH had left for work and she climbed in bed with me. 

"How was your weekend with Daddy?" I asked.  "I heard you went to see a movie."

"Yes! We saw Brave!"

"Did you like it?"

"Uh huh."

"What was your favorite part?"

"The naked boys."

So.... not so different from the Mermaid Parade after all.